14th Regiment Cavalry, NY Volunteers | Flank Markers | Civil War

Flag dimensions: 28 3/4" hoist X 29 3/4" fly.

(2002.009)



Flag dimensions: 28 3/4" hoist X 29 3/4" fly.

(2002.0091)

The 14th Regiment Cavalry, or “Metropolitan Cavalry,” mustered into service for three years at Riker’s Island between November 1862 and July 1863. These silk flank markers feature painted inscriptions in gold, shadowed in red, along the top and bottom. Also, each features a red painted shield in the center framed with a gold painted border. Each shield includes the regiment’s numeric designation painted in gold and shadowed in crimson. “N.Y.S.V.” and “CAVALRY.” are in mirror image on the reverse while the numeric designation reads left to right on the reverse. Colonel Abram Bassford deposited these two flags with the state on August 4, 1865.