48th Regiment NY Volunteer Infantry | Flank Markers | Civil War

Flag dimensions: 22" hoist X 25 3/4" fly.

(2001.0104)



Flag dimensions: 22" hoist X 26 1/2" fly.

(2005.0105)

The two silk flank markers seen here feature the regiment's numeric designation painted in gold in the center and yellow-colored, twisted and looped fringe on three sides. Reportedly, the 48th Regiment NY Volunteer Infantry received these flags on January 12, 1862, at Hilton Head, South Carolina, from Adjutant Anthony Goodell on behalf of the ladies of Brooklyn. One of the two flank markers shows signs of light damage as evidenced by the diagonal brown markings and globular discoloration along the top edge. The regiment deposited the flank markers into the Battle Flag Collection via Adjutant General William Irvine on November 27, 1865.