Fort Gage, 1758, Warren County, Town of Lake George. About one mile South of Lake George Village, Fort William Henry. Reportedly fortified early in French and Indian War 1758-1759, as a supply base for Fort William Henry. Also used as Lord Howe's advance guard for Abercrombies troops in 1758. Named for Brigadier General Thomas Gage, second in command under Amherst in 1759.
General Gages' Redoubt, 1759, Essex County, Crown Point. Gage's Light Infantry Redoubt is outworks of Fort Crown Point to the South West on the lake shore. Named for General Thomas Gage of the 80th Light Armed Foot. See Fort Crown Point.
Fort Gaines, 1814, Clinton County, Plattsburgh. Added South of Fort Moreau after the Battle of Plattsburgh. Contained 4 Cannon, no buildings. Named for Major General Edmund Gaines. See Plattsburgh Battle Forts for story and map.
Ganagharaga Fort, 1756, Onondaga County, Syracuse. Located about Southwest corner of Route 173 and Route 11. Built by Sir Johnson for protection of Onondaga Indians (see Fort French).
Fort Gansevoort, 1808 or 1812, New York County, New York. Fort at the foot of Gansevoort Street (or between 12th & Gansevort) on the Hudson River, NYC. Refered to as the "White" Fort due to its whitewashing. Had 22 Cannon, demolished about 1849 or 1854.
Gardiner, 1756, Orange County, Gardinersville. Cpt. Richard Gardiner, Frontier Guard, constructed a 100 foot square palisade containing multiple dwellings.
Gibson's Battery, 1812-14, Erie County, Buffalo. Located a little South of Ferry Street on the high bank. Armed with three cannon. To its South was Fort Tompkins(3), and to the North was Dudley's Battery. See Buffalo Batteries for a complete listing of batteries in this area.
Glen Blockhouse, 1780s, Montgomery County, Fultonville. Erected in the Town of Glen near close of Revolutionary War. Site on NY Route 5S at Fultonville.
Fort Golgotha, 1782, Suffolk County, Huntington. British works located vicinity of Main Street and Nassau Road. COL Thompson (A Tory with a British commission) dismantled Old First Presbyterian Church and used wood to build a fort on Burying Hill. Named Fort Golgotha, the cemetery was leveled and a six foot earthwork covering two acres was built. Never attacked. The fort was torn down in 1784 and the cemetery restored. Now an archaeological site.
Grand Island Nike Base
Fort Gray, 1812, Niagara County, Niagara Falls. Located on the top of the Lewiston Escarpment opposite Queenstown. Named for its builder Nicholas Gray. Located on the site of an unnamed 1751 French Blockhouse/Storehouse and an unnamed 1764 British Blockhouse/Storehouse. Attacked and destroyed December 1813.
Great Redoubt, The
The Great Redoubt, 1777, Saratoga County, Bemis Heights. Battle of Saratoga 1777. A British system of fortifications erected to guard the hospital, artillery park, supplies and a float bridge located on the river flats. After the American attacks of 7 October on the Balcarres and Breymann Redoubts, the British withdrew to these positions. On 8 October they buried General Fraser and withdrew towards Old Saratoga where they surrendered on 17 October. For more information see www.revolutionaryday.com/usroute4/saratoga/tour9.htm
Camp Greenburgh, 1777, Westchester County, Hartsdale, Ridge Road. Temporary Revolutionary War Headquarters for French Army.
August 1776, Kings County, Brooklyn. A star shaped fort with a well and two magazines mounting six guns, 300 yards left (north) of Fort Box. Largest in Brooklyn, it held a Regiment. Named for General Nathanael Greene.
Griffiss Air Force Base
Guenther, Camp (F. L.)
Camp (F. L.) Guenther: 1901, Erie County, Buffalo. Military encampment on Pan-American Exposition Grounds.