H. G. Wright, Fort
Fort H. G. Wright: 1879-1948, Fishers Island (off East tip of LI). Western end of the Island, first built up in 1898-99 as a defensive position protecting Long Island Sound and armed with two 12 inch and two 10 inch "rifles" on disappearing carriages. Status of Batteries in 1921 were as follows; Battery Clinton, 4 - 12" Mortar Battery Butterfield, 2 - 12" Disappearing Battery Barlow, 2 - 10" Disappearing Battery Hamilton, was 2 - 6" Pedestal, removed by 1921 Battery Marcy, was 2 - 6" Pedestal, removed by 1921 Battery Hoffman, 2 - 3" Pedestal Battery Hoppock, 2 - 3" Pedestal Operational during WW2 with a small airfield. Linked with Fort Terry, Fort Michie which were sub-posts, and Camp Hero. Closed in the late 1950s and sold to private interests.
Hamburg Nike Base
Hamburg Nike Base (BU-52): 1956-61, Erie County, Hamburg. Double site Launcher and Integrated Fire Control Area for Nike-Ajax Missiles. Control Center New Lake View Road, 2 E. Heltz Road, now Town Offices. Launcher area New Lake View Road, 1 E. Heltz Road, covered by bike track and Hamburg Town Park and Bulk Storage.
Camp Hardin: 1860/1898, Rensselaer County, Sand Lake. Civil War Training Camp for Troy area recruits. Named for Regimental Commanding Officer of 2nd NY Vol. Infantry. Demobilization Camp for the 2nd NY, occupied Aug-Sept 1898.
Fort Hardy: August 1755, Saratoga County, Schuylerville. Built by General Phinehas Lyman at North West intersection of the Fish Kill and Hudson River (Site of ferry accross Hudson and one of the first bridges). Named for Sir Charles Hardy, Governor of NY. Intended as supply post for expeditions against Crown Point. (The Johnson Expedition).
Harrison Blockhouse: 1736/1750, Montgomery County, St. Johnsville. Wooden blockhouse, North side of the Mohawk River and West side of Caroga Creek.
Hart Island: 1860s, Bronx County. Originally a Civil War Training Camp. Fenced in for a Confederate POW camp in 1865 to hold 3,413 prisoners. Occupied as part of Nike Base (NY15) at nearby Fort Slocum by the 66th Guided Missile Battalion 1955-60. Today part of NYC Prisons, with a potters field/cemetary, and private ownership.
Haver Island: 1777, Albany County, Cohoes (Peebles Island). May have been used as a Camp Grounds along with adjacent Van Schaick Island as early as 1709. Van Schaick and Haver Islands again used as a Camp and Supply Depot in 1777. Three earthenwork Batteries, possibly with blockhouses, were constructed by Kosciusco Aug 1777. Site occupied into 1782 due to conflicts with Vermont.
Hazelhurst Field: 1915, Nassau County, Hempstead Plains. In 1917 when the US declared war on Germany, the Army converted a two year old National Guard Base , on the former site of Camp Black, to Hazelhurst Field. Named for Leighton Hazelhurst the first NCO killed in an aviation accident. Civilian aviation field after WWI. Renamed Curtis Field 1920-1929 and merged with adjacent Roosevelt Field and renamed Roosevelt Field 1929-1951. Closed 1951, for construction of first shopping mall in the US.
Fort Hennepin: Dec 1678, Niagara County, Lewiston. An advance of LaSalle's expedition led by LaMotte constructed a cabin surrounded by palisades near the foot of the Lewiston escarpment. Named Fort Hennepin, after the priest and historian of the expedition, in a 1914 work by Peter Porter. Within a year it was replaced by Fort Conti nearer the mouth of the Niagara River and on the site of the future Fort Niagara. Near this site the French later built an unnamed blockhouse in 1721 it was the site of Joncaire's Blockhouse or Magazin' Royal, and similarly this was replaced by an unnamed British facility in 1761. For history of companion works at the top of the escarpment see Fort Gray.
Herkimer Church Fort
Herkimer Church Fort: 1756, Herkimer County, Mohawk. Stockade around 1740-67 stone Herkimer Dutch Reformed Church, South side of Mohawk River about opposite West Canada Creek. The Old Fort was rebuilt around the church with an added blockhouse, about 1/4 mile west of the previous site. During the Revolutionary War the church, now known as Herkimer Church Fort, was re-fortified with a strong palisade and earthworks. In 1812 the church was renovated and enlarged. The ramparts were destroyed in 1918 with the construction of the Barge Canal.
Camp Hero: 1941, Suffolk County, Montauk Point (East tip of LI), Fort Pond. Navy built docks, seaplane hanger and barracks which are now the former Ocean Science Labs. Camp Hero consisted of two 16 inch gun emplacements, and one 6 inch gun. Linked with Fort Terry, Fort Michie, and Fort Wright. An air base was also constructed during WW2. Deactivated after the war and used for Army Reserve training until 1950. In 1957 transferred to the Air Force and the 773rd Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was activated and used the Western portion of Camp Hero (see Montauk Air Force Station). The Unit and Base was decommissioned and sold in 1982/4.
Fort Hess: 1776, Montgomery County, Palatine Church. A small fortified stone dwelling of John Hess between Palatine Church and St. Johnsville, or one mile west of Fort Fox and 3/4 miles south of Fort Klock.
Fort Hickory: 1812, Franklin County, Town of Chateugay. A blockhouse, site is one mile South of Larkville.
Hicksville Nike Base
Hicksville Nike Base (NY-23): 1955, Launcher Area (may have also been called Brookville), IFC area was Oyster Bay. 30 Nike Ajax, 3 magazines, 1 type "B" and 2 type "C", Inactivated 1963 and not upgraded. Now owned by Town and transformed into Native Park.
(1): St. Johnsville, Montgomery County. Possibly a fortified house used in both the French and Indian War and the Revolution, on a hill in western part of St. Johnsville near East Canada Creek. (may be the same place as Fort House). (2): Part of West Point defenses, known as North Redoubt and South Redoubt in highlands on East side of Hudson 2 miles southeast of Constitution Island, between Garrison and Route 9.
Hoffman Island Maritime Service Training Station: Operated by the USCG to train Merchant Marine Officers and Seamen, 1938.
Fort Horn: 1814, NYC. Located at Morningside Park at 123rd Street and Amsterdam Avenue. Named for MAJ Joseph Horn.
Horn's Hook Battery / Fort
Horn's Hook Battery / Fort: A 9 gun Battery planned in Feb 1776, for the defense of Manhattan Island. Located about what is now 89th Street and East End Avenue, opposite Ward's Island and Hell Gate. A star shapped battery also known as Thompson's Battery. September 1776 under fire from the British in Queens. British occupation saw restoration and addition of palisades and supporting batteries and palisaded blockhouse. After the war the new owner, Archibald Gracie, leveled the works in 1794 and erected a mansion, now home for NYC Mayors.
Hospital Redoubt: April 1776, New York City. Fortified breastworks for the hospital at West Broadway and Worth Street (or Duane Steet) Fortifications were destroyed or removed in winter of 1776.
Fort House: St Johnsville, Montgomery County. Built by Christian House (Haus) and owned by George Klock, a fortified house on western edge of village. One mile west of Village center and six miles northwest of Nelliston. May be same structure as Fort Hill?
Fort Hudson: 1811, East coast of Staten Island for harbor defense. Possibly only a battery it was controlled by Fort Tompkins 1812. May have become part of Fort Wadsworth.
Huntington Nike Base
Huntington Nike Base (NY-20): 1955-63, Launcher Area for 30 Nike-Ajax Missiles, IFC area was Lloyd Harbor. Inactivated 1963. Site demolished.
Hurley Blockhouse : 1660s, Dutch, Ulster County, Village of Hurley. Palisaded blockhouse for protection of settlement from the Esopus Indians.
Hyde Bay Camp
Hyde Bay Camp & Fort: 1779, on Otsego Lake, Otsego County. Occupied by the 4th Massachusetts Regiment. Site 2 1/2 miles south of US Route 20 at Middle Springfield.