Independence, Fort
(1): 1776, Manhattan, Revolutionary War. The strongest fort in Bronx County until the British reconstructed Fort Number 4. Located on the heights between the old Boston and Albany Post Roads. Site now Fort Independence Park. Patriot breastworks started in June 1776. A rough parallelogram with bastions at two angles. Enclosed a stone barracks, magazine and tents. Deserted October 1776. Occupied by British Hessian troops. Destroyed and evacuated September 1779. (2): 1776, Westchester County, on Hudson, vicinity entrance to current State Camp Smith. Ordered built on Roa Hook, Tethard's Hill, August 1776. Evacuated in October 1777 when Montgomery and Clinton fell, destroyed by the British. Obliterated by quarry operations.
Ingoldsby, Fort
Fort Ingoldsby: Built during Queen Anne's War in 1709 near present Stillwater, on the Hudson, by Col. Schuyler. Named for Lt Governor. Intended as supply post for Nicholson Expedition. Reconstructed in 1756 as Ft Winslow. See also Stillwater Blockhouse for a reconstruction of a typical period blockhouse, formerly at Ft Neilson, Bemis Heights, from original barn timbers.
Iona Island
Iona Island: On Hudson, south of Camp Smith. US Navy Ammunition Supply Base in World War 2. Looking for more information.
Irondequoit, Fort
Irondequoit Fort: Town of Irondequoit, French Fort built on bluff overlooking Lake Ontario at Sea Breeze. Gen Denonville landed here July 1687 enroute to the battle at Victor, July 1687. A 400 man rear party built the fort awaiting his return.
Islip Long Island MacArthur Airport
The 201WF, NYANG mission was weather support to the 42ID, NYARNG, attached to the G2, supported by the 242 SIG BN in Hempstead, and directly providing aviation weather support to elements of the 42 AVN BN at ISP. Our ANG personnel support was provided by the 106RQW CBPO at Gabreski ANGB in Westhampton Beach, where the 201WF moved to in 83, due to facility limitations at ISP, until disbanded during the 42ID reorg in OCT93. The 202WF, MAANG, at Camp Edwards in Otis ANGB on the Cape (Cod), formerly assigned to the disbanded 26ID, MAARNG, was reassigned to support the new multi-State 42ID then. Contributed by Joseph Tabaco, TSG, NYANG (Ret), Ronkonkoma, NY
Izard, Fort
Fort Izard: July 1814, Clinton County, Cumberland Head. A heavy battery position constructed by General George Izard containing 4 - 18 pounders with a redoubt to the rear. Occupied for a few weeks, not used, vacated for defenses constructed at Plattsburgh.

Special Recognition

This section was made possible by the hard work and diligent research of Col. Michael J. Stenzel, NYG. Col. Stenzel spent many years compiling the information contained on these pages.