Kanadesaga
Kanadesaga: 1756, Ontario County, Geneva, foot of Seneca Lake. 100 foot square palisade, 15 feet high, with two 20 foot square blockhouses at diagonals. Built for Indian Village of Kanadesaga, Capitol of Senaca's. Destroyed in 1779.
Kenisico Nike Base
Kenisico Nike Base (NY-09): 1955, IFC Area, launcher area was White Plains. Inactivated 1963. 1959-63 manned by NYARNG units under ARADCOM.
Kenneth A. Kesselring Site
Kenneth A. Kesselring Site: 1957, West Milton, Saratoga County. One of two Navy Training Sites for Nuclear Reactor Operators. Kesselring once had four operating reactors, but two older reactors were decommisioned in the 1990s leaving two reactors in operation. About 800 sailors are trained at Kesselring annualy, down from about 2,000 at the height of the 1980s build-up. About 500 Naval personnel and 400 civilians also work at the site in training or support roles. Kesselring is operated for the Navy by The Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (KAPL) located in Schenectady. KAPL is engaged solely in research and development for the design and operation of naval nuclear propulsion plants. Activities relating to naval nuclear propulsion systems are performed in accordance with the requirements and authority of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program, a joint DOE and U.S. Department of Navy program responsible for all activities relating to naval nuclear propulsion. The Kesselring site is also used to provide full-scale testing of propulsion plant prototype hardware and to train personnel to operate these plants.
Kentucky, Fort
Fort Kentucky: (also called Fort Mud) Sackets Harbor, 1812-15. A minor redoubt of 20 guns in a fortified line of 4 such "forts" (Kentucky, Virginia, Chauncey, Stark) anchored at Fort Pike on the Bay (later Madison Barracks) protecting the land side of Sackets Harbor. Site South side of Washington Street almost on the Lake shore. See map at Sacketts Harbor Forts listing.
Keyser, Fort
Fort Keyser: 1750, Stone Arabia, Montgomery County. Stone house of Johannes Keyse, loop-holed with fortifications added 1776. No longer used when Fort Paris built 1/2 mile north in spring 1777. Building was torn down in 1840s.
Kienuka, Fortress
Fortress of Kienuka: 1500-1640, Lewiston, Niagara County. Squawkihaws and Senecas fort of refuge, located on the Niagara escarpment. Protected by a moat/ditch on the East, West, and South sides, with upright poles of 10 or 12 feet, enclosing a space of about 20 by 50 rods.
Kimber, Fort
Fort Kimber: 1759, Orange County, Uniondale. Built by George Kimber, a miller, during the French and Indian War.
King's Bridge Redoubt
King's Bridge Redoubt: 1775, New York City. Site of King's Bridge over Spuyten Duyvil Creek for Old Post Road to the Bronx. No information on the American works, the British built a semicircular earthwork in November 1776. Location was about 230th Street and Broadway. The creek was filled in 1913.
King's Ferry Forts
King's Ferry Forts: Kings Ferry ran from the West side of the Hudson River at Stony Point to the East side of the River at Verplank's Point, protected by Fort Lafayette (1).
King's Redoubt
King's Redoubt: 1776, British, New York City, with an abatis added in 1778. Adjacent to Fort Number 7, and probably torn down at the same time in September 1779. Used in attack on Fort Washington.
Klock, Fort
Fort Klock: 1750, St Johnsville, Mongomery County. An L-shaped, story and half stone house with loopholes built by Johannes Klock. Located on Route 10, on the north bank of the Mohawk, one mile east of St Johnsville center and 3/4 miles south of Fort Hess. Fort Klock was restored and is open as a museum. Battle of Klock's Field, October 19, 1780, was just east of the Fort.
Knyphausen, Fort
(1) 1777, St. George, Staten Island. An British earthen redoubt on Fort Hill. Repelled an American assault in January 1780. (2) 1776, British rename of Fort Washington, November. Reverted to Fort Washington after Americans reoccupied NYC upon the British withdrawl.

Special Recognition

This section was made possible by the hard work and diligent research of Col. Michael J. Stenzel, NYG. Col. Stenzel spent many years compiling the information contained on these pages.